Shannon's Travel Blog

Saturday, October 13, 2012

PICTURES!!!!!!!

Hey all, people have been asking me for pics of my life here. I don't have a TON cuz i try not to take out my camera much, but here are a few...


 



Cool band we went to see in Yaounde in our second night in Cameroon. Aerie, the guy in white was the drummer I was telling you about.





Waterbottle! I promised Aerie that I’d take a bunch of pics doing cool things with my waterbottle. This is my first day of school, wearing a traditional dress that my host mother gave me. It’s beautiful, but INCREDIBLY hot. 


On My Way to school






 

Cooking for my mom’s birthday! Mmmmm Fried Plantains. All the cooking at my house is done on the back step and with a cooking fire. They have a gas stove inside, but they only use it to reheat stuff. It’s cheaper to cook on the fire, even if it takes a LONG time. It’s kind of nice tho. The other night all the work was done and we were just waiting for the meal to finish cooking on the fire. The power had gone out throughout the town, so we just sat on the back step, watching the fire and the fireflies and the lightning rolling in, and listening to the thunder. It was like camping and was really serene and pleasant.



 Mmmmm, Plantains!!!!





My mom and Arnold. He helps me with my English.



 



The two neighbor kids that come around for treats. The first time I took a picture of the boy and showed him the pic on my camera, his eyes totally bugged out like he had just seen someone fly. It was hilarious.



Me at the Birthday Party...





My sister Adele. I adore Adele. She is so kind and helpful and LOVES to sing. She sings all the time. She is 20, does all the house chores and cooking and goes to school full time and is still always cheerful. She likes doing sports and loves designing clothes. She is all around awesome.




My  host-sister’s friend Yolanda with the Birthday cake. I LOVE Yolanda. She’s super nice and a REALLY hard worker. She greeted me on my first day here cuz my mom and sister were both at school and work so she let me in the house and showed me my room. Then she asked me about Obama. He and Michelle are SUPER popular here. It was funny.





Danny, my neighbor. She speaks really good English and helps me with my French. I really like her :)



My Mom! She's awesome. She is a youth worker as well.


Lunch!


I'm totally a bike Mechanic Don't Ya Know?!









There are lots of pretty bugs here, like this bad-ass grasshopper. Also gorgeous birds and flowers. And totally kickass lizards that are big and VERY colorful but they are too quick and too shy to get a good pick of them.



 
 View from my back porch

 View from the back of the school



The classroom where I have my French Lessons (I have to speak exclusively in French at the center and at my home. I can only speak English during 2 classes (Youth Development or Health) and when I’m at the bar. Otherwise it is ALL French ALL the time. It’s a bitch but I’m getting pretty good!) The place where we have training is a half-finished building with not doors. It’s been wired for electricity but the wiring isn’t finished so there are tubes and wires coming out of the floor and ceiling. And we have to flush the toilets by dumping a bucket of water into the bowl. NBD. I LOVE it though cuz everything is open and it really helps keep it cool.







Classrooms where I have my technical training. The brown room has a birds nest being built right above where the instructor speaks. Often the bird will come in and chatter and work on the nest while we are having class. It’s pretty great. (sorry the white room is sideways. It took me 3.5 hrs to upload these photos so I'm not gonna re-upload >_<)





Aaaaaaaand the training center where I spend all day every day. Hoooray!!!!!

9 Comments:

  • At 5:57 PM , Blogger Janna said...

    Great pictures! The people and the location... so beautiful! That birthday cake looked pretty yummy too! Happy belated birthday!

    I visited Costa Rica in 2000 and spent a lot time with the locals. Their living situations were pretty similar to your pictures. And yeah - wow! - the birthday cakes they could make were also extremely awesome!

     
  • At 6:49 PM , Blogger Ellen said...

    Aaagh!!! Those are so great! I love them all! Everything is so colorful.

    Your host family sounds rocking awesome, giving you pretty dresses, feeding you plantains,...

     
  • At 8:07 PM , Blogger Joaquin the Chihuahua said...

    Awesome pics, Shannon! Looks like you are fitting right in with your host family and loving life! They sound like really cool people, and I'm sure you'll master French in no time. :)

     
  • At 12:02 AM , Blogger Merinmel Caesg said...

    jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous & happy for & proud of YOU........and jealous. I may have to rethink my five year plan. <_<

     
  • At 2:11 AM , Blogger Rilee A Buttars said...

    Shannon! This makes me really happy. Everyone seems so nice. Miss you, and I am so glad everything is going well!

     
  • At 2:33 PM , Blogger Shannon said...

    Hey! It IS really colorful here although I don't think about it much cuz the primary color is GREEN. haha. My host family IS awesome, I really lucked out, and I do feel like I'm fitting in which is awesome :) The Birthday cake, however, was not awesome. Very dry and bland. But that's ok! They make a cake at least once a week at my house for some reason or another and they are usually pretty good. The pretty official one was from a store and probably pretty old and stale. But it was pretty so that's good!

    @Erin, don't you dare. this is like your 5th-five year plan. You're starting to sound like you are in Russion in the mid 1900. Ha!

    @Rilee, I miss you toooooooo!!!!!!!

    @Jack, thanks for the support! I sure hope so!

     
  • At 11:09 PM , Blogger Merinmel Caesg said...

    I have no idea to what you refer ^_^ all I see here is that you say I be Infamous Woman of Grandeur!

     
  • At 2:11 AM , Blogger aer said...

    So many things i love about those pics Shan! Can't thank you enough for putting them up. Somehow the beauty helps me worry less about ya. you know me. i'm sure you're fine, but i worry.
    So glad i didn't inspire you to ship a whitewater kayak (however impossible) to use over there. ha! i'd be a freekin case.
    I think i understand what you may have gone thru at times when i was launching down class 4 runs in idaho. Btw, if i'm lucky and live like a pauper during xmas season, I'm going up to run some rivers in idaho come jan. 12th. I'll keep my promis and not run the north fork unless i've got two buds along. not realistic to run it anyway. no where to train here in SLC. good stuff (for you). hugs.

    back to DIA, that's an incredibly good photo you should mark as your new facebook photo. the one of you in red, great smile, right arm around Danny. that's just cool that there's someone there with your nickname.

    gas, stoves, explosions. So glad you've got lots of common sense and elected to go buy a better setup. Explodo-shannon. not an option.

    the photo of your walk through palm trees or trees that look like them, on the dirt path. ..i think it's your walk to school you said. That's awesome somehow. the adventure, the different flora, the living somewhere where a path is a path not a chunk of concrete sidewalk.

     
  • At 2:27 AM , Blogger aer said...

    hilarious and thoughtful and awesome photos of you with the water bottle to beat all bottles. 3x fast: bottlebottlebottle

    bottlebottlebottlebottle.

    Okaaay. . .

    Also i'm jealous of the plaintain meals. love me some plaintains, i do.

    re: COLD. i've had to do this mountaineering or camping b4, btw: Wait, i'm guessing you have a hat. winter one. we packed that in your gear right? prolly not, b/c we thought you'd be in the HOT tropics not the cold.
    So, there you are. in the world. chillin. .. literally. Take any synthetic insulating cloth you have and wrap your head to make a hat. this is at night in bed and i suggest you unwind it from your noggin when fighting hippos knocking at your door asking for. . .cheesecake. As they are wont to do. Yes, unwrap and present yourself well for such interruptions. Then go back to sleep with said head wrap.

    Ingenuity, invention. use anything you can find for a head wrap. hell, i've used anything in dire circumstance abroad or just b/c i forget to pack something. clothes, large plant leaves bigger than a bread loaf, paper bags, anything to keep the heat in but the more insulation the better. Here endether the lesson, though i bet you've already thought of much of this. you're a resourceful gal, oui? oui!

    more fun: flushing a toilet by pouring water into the tank. Been there. I got your back there girl! how quaint. I demo houses and we're lucky when we have a toilet still standing that we can pour water down to flush. you, halfway around the world, are in a developing nation and doing the same. what does this say about construction environments? It says they're ridiculous, that's what. ha!

    k, gotta run but so psyched to see and hear about your times and puckish self making the best of what you've got. You're so strong and i'm so damn, damn proud of that quality in you. You inspire me. hugs,
    aer

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home